Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Change is good - always

Years ago, I tried the Triathlon event because I realized I sucked at running alone. I had done a marathon and a half marathon and a 5K and I quickly knew that my body wasn't built to be a super runner and probably couldn't keep doing the long distances forever.

I had also just wrapped up my MBA and knew I needed a new and different challenge to redirect my energies. I had a friend who was doing sprint and olympic tris and suggested I could do it.

I can remember that my biggest concern of taking on TRI's wasn't the distance or even the actual events - it was wearing a swimsuit in front of other people - on purpose. It wasn't that I was grotesquely obese - but it was definitely something I have never enjoyed.

It took me more time to talk myself into going to the pool and trying a few strokes than it did to work my way up to the actually swimming the first mile.

A good friend once told me to never miss a personal deadline. That the key to succeeding and moving forward is to set goals/timelines/deadlines for yourself and then not let anything get in the way. So I took his advice and picked a date, put together a plan and then just did it. I got a suit, I went to the pool and got in. The first few times were hard - just like when I started running. But over a few visits, my swimming was stronger.

And the bike. I liked biking. I ad a great mountain bike with nobby tires. I knew no differently how hard that would be to ride on for a olympic distance tri of 25 miles. So I trained on it. I liked it. On race day, I was a bit intimidated by all the very nice tri bikes in the stands. There stood my $90 Target special with big nobby tires and 7 of 10 gears that worked reliably. But I did it. Wheels are wheels - they can get you there - if you try hard enough.

And then the run. Obviously the run wasn't intimating. A mere 10K. I think it was the thought of doing it after the mile swim and 25 mile bike that worried me. And through all the training, I wondered if I would survive. I found out I did. I found out I could.

In the end, I found a true love for triathlons - more than marathons and probably equal to half marathons. I have a short attention span so it is wonderful to switch events three times. I find just when I am tired of the activity, it is time to do another. I found that I really find comfort and joy of the feel of "brick-like" legs off the bike to the run. It is very satisfying. And the best part is I have found a consistent faster pace on my runs in a TRI than a stand alone road race.

But best of all - the change from running alone to cross training made me appreciate my run times more and then the cross training made me a better, stronger runner.

It was change that did me good then and now every year at this time I am thankful for the chance to change up my running and take on new and exciting challenges in training for a tri.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. Inspiring story! A triathlon is all about overcoming challenges...and for every athlete, it's a different challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I road what it technically a "comfort bike" for my first tri last summer. It's pretty much a hybrid, and I did OK with it. At least it was a Trek, which made it a little less embarrassing.

    Now that I know tris are something I like and can do, I've invested in a new bike!

    ReplyDelete