Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Symptoms of a Half Marathon

Since I didn't have a chance to build up my running as much as I wanted, I am doing a half hearted taper. Helping the taper become more robust is my knee issues. Pain in every step of my run today and then walking hills at home with the kids later this evening was a killer.

I don't get it. I have been religious with my PT the last four weeks. I do feel a bit stronger - but my knee just doesn't feel right. It is beginning to feel like the muscles around my knee and hips ARE stronger but my knee itself just doesn't feel solid at all. If feels like it is hanging on by a string. Something has changed with it in the last few months.

But even with all the mental drama of my knee, there is still part of me that is in full swing of half marathon race preparation. I thought that maybe I could head off the more debilitating symptoms of a race if I didn't taper - but that doesn't seem to matter.

My mind continues to calculate and recalculate splits and finish times randomly throughout the day. I find myself thinking about hydration now and my plan for the week. I have already started worrying about hydration the day before. I checked that my favorite socks are right where they should be. My shuffle is set for tunes. I have confirmed my weekend plans with hubby more than a few times. And I have checked, rechecked, rechecked, rechecked, rechecked, and rechecked the weather. Still not ideal - if you were wondering at all.

It is amazing of the number of times I have run a half marathon, how these crazed runner symptoms come back time after time. You think that like a virus, if you get it once, they would pass you by the second and third times.... no luck. Still stuck thinking half marathon thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate to this. Heck, I get nervous before 5K's!

    ReplyDelete