Tuesday, April 21, 2009

How Mom Runners Are Different Than Real Runners

I admit I am a runner. Slow as I am and as awful as I look in spandex, I can still proudly say I am a runner.

But as I close in on my first half marathon of the season as part of the Drake Relays, I can't help but compare and contrast how different my runnning is compared to elite runners. It may be that every news story seems to be showing and talking about some of the great amateurs and elites that are in town that has caused this exercise - but whatever the reason - here is my list:

  • Training Run Fuel. Elites have experiments out of the way and now have specific food while training and racing that maximizes their performance. Me, the mom runner, runs out of Gu and can't find time to get more and find me stealing packages of fruit chews (not the healthy ones either) out of my kids hands of scrummaging at the bottom of their Easter basket to try to find a handful of stale jelly beans to stash in my pocket for a long run. Ewww ... I know.
  • Strengthening. Elites work with trainers to make sure muscles are balanced and the right strengthening exercises are done throughout training. I find myself begging my kids to play one legged catch with a squishy ball and trying to eeck out 20 reps before they get bored and move on. On batting away a lovable Golden and spoiled cat as I try to get in my floor exercises.
  • Cross Training. Elites find low impact or other complimentary training to offset their high mileage on their off or cross training days. I find that most days are cross training and seem to be at soccer practice for my son, baseball games for my daughter, or my favorite - carrying my workout bag to my car and then back but with no chance to work in my run during the day.
  • Rest. Elites get a good night sleep and even rest during the day. Moms don't sleep. Ever.
  • Gear. Elites get top of the line gear from sponsors and other cool places. Moms hope that they washed their gear and the stink actually came out and their husband or child didn't put away laundry - because they know they will never find their favorite running clothes again.
  • Post Race Massage. Elites have trainers and other support to make sure they are hydrated, refueled, muscles cool down and reduce the risk of injury as well as speed recovery. Moms don't stop running and recover - they just run to their car and keep the family's day moving.
  • Race time. Elites are intense and focused for their race - take time to mentally and physically prepare and go to the line ready. Moms go to the line ready for a well needed few hour break on the roads to sort through the events of the week as well as to figure out what is for dinner next week. That's not our splits we write on the back of our hands after the race - it is the grocery list.

But for as many things that are different, I have no doubt that the joy in running and finishing is the same. Maybe even greater for a running mom who didn't think that they could find time to do it, want to do it, should do it, followed through with it or could even do it.

Running is cool - no matter how you do it.

Good luck to all the very cool, very fast, very talented runners at Drake this weekend. I am prepared to be as inspired as always.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

  1. I like to imagine that Paula Radcliffe does the exact things you just described. After all, she's a mom, too!

    ReplyDelete