Saturday, April 4, 2009

12 mile run, check

This week has been crazy busy. 9 hours of meetings every day, no work time, 100's of emails, busy with the Lounge and kids schedules are back to back. All week, I kept peeking at my blocked run time on Friday afternoon and really wondered if I could carve off 2-3 hours just to run.

Earlier in the week, I threw out an invite to my friend Mary to join me in the run. She is getting ready for her first Dam to Dam 20K and was looking for a running partner to do her first 4 mile run in some time. Knowing that I would be more apt to do the run if someone was waiting on me - I made sure to give her a time.

Within an hour of run time on Friday, I realized that I had hours and hours of work to do before my trip Monday and I mentally, physically, and every other way wasn't prepared to run. Sure, I had brought the right clothes and shoes and an extra water bottle, but I hadn't psyched myself up or thought about it.

But with my commitment to Mary, I dumped everything else and made sure I was ready to run at the time we agreed. She was late, so I started without her but we connected a mile into the run. We don't have a chance to catch up much, so it was a nice chance to hear about family, kids, husband and job. And even better, she had told me that she had been struggling with her runs - and I was certain it was because she was going out too fast - and sure enough, if she ran at my pace, she could run farther much easier. At the four mile mark, instead of stopping dead, she yelled, I feel like I could keep running. That is a great feeling to hear that from a newer runner.

About mile 3 in the run, we ran into a past coworker and friend, Claudia. Claudia is also new to running and does it for the pure joy. She is a natural born runner, even though she wouldn't admit it. She has a perfect stride, a bunch of speed and it makes it look so easy. She said she was out for a quick 4. And after we dropped off Mary at her mile 4 we kept moving forward. When we reached her 4 and my 6, I asked her if she would keep coming with me and she said yes. I don't think she knew what she was agreeing to - but I was so happy to have the company. We put in another two in the midst of a lot of conversation and I still didn't see her slowing down. She pretty much finished a 10K without blinking and had never finished more than 4 miles before. As I dropped her off for her 6 and my 8 - she was escatic. It was like a gift from God to have her appear while running and an even bigger gift for her to agree to stay with me that long. Running with friends makes the miles go by sooooo much faster.

But after dropping her off, I still had the task of getting in another 4 miles. We had been on most of the trails on Grays Lake, so I headed over to waterworks and so new scenery. With my tunes and thoughts, the other 4 miles went by ok. At mile 9, I finally felt the first 8 miles catching up. At mile 10, I was tired and ready to walk. And did for a bit. But then, I felt my second wind and the excitement of finishing the last leg and running home. And did. My best guess it was about 12 minute miles. Which won't be good enough for Drake Relays.

But in context of the week and my unpreparedness, I am so pleased that I could do it and finish. My knee held up without a great deal of pain. I could get out of bed this morning and walk up and down the stairs without grimacing. It feels ok - no worse for the experience. Maybe, just maybe, it is getting better.

In this 12 mile run, I was reminded of a few key principles of my long runs:
  • No matter how many times I do a 12 mile run - it never gets shorter. 12 miles is still a long friggin way.
  • No matter how many times I experience the fatigue and tired feet, it doesn't make it feel any better or any less achey the next time.
  • The longer I run, the more I enjoy the sassy music selections.
  • The longer I run, the more acceptable I believe it is to sing more loudly and dance more in public.
  • I really stink after a long run. And I wear it proudly.
  • The only time I like ice water is during a long run. It was delicious.
  • There are substitutes for Gu, like stealing my kids fruit chews or starburst jelly beans, but I don't really like them at all. Too sticky in my teeth.
  • Even when I don't think I have the time or I think I should be doing something else, there is something deeply fulfilling about a long run. In all that I did this week, the long run is something I can say I accomplished that is worthy of talking about.
  • I know there is a mind-body connection in running, but I am amazed everytime how a seemingly physical task can tear you down mentally and physically, but leave me feeling so mentally rejuvinated after a run.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment