Saturday, April 18, 2009

Update on the Knee

Bad week for the knee.

Many panges and twinges with the right knee when I pivot and push off/back (when sitting in car, getting out of the car, etc).

It is tired and sore. It hurt like a bitch after the run. I was babying it right afterwards, but luckily our company for dinner had a 1 1/2 year old that loved to do stairs so I found myself going up and down the stairs about 100 times. And you know what - it seemed to help it.

It doesn't feel very lovely today - but it isn't screaming at me either.

I did 2 sets of 5 pikes. yeah. and then a ball tossing session with Sophie - which should count for 2 since it took much longer to do it with her than a big person. And also did band exercises with Jim. Let's hope all the little stuff counts and makes it stronger.

Friday at therapy was the first checkpoint of how things are coming. Overall, stronger and better, but still a ways to go. The most striking aha moments have been watching my leg and knee in the mirror as I do a partial single leg squat. I always knew I was weak - but that is so interesting. And then when I did the partial one leg wall squat and watched my knee go in. I could visibly see the weakness - but it wasn't until Amber reminded me that my knee does that with every stride of my run that I think I truly finally got it.

I have been thinking about what "self checks" a runner should do to check themselves against weaknesses that could cause future injury. One leg squats seem to be a key one.

Still hoping for a miracle by Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment