Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Ok, time to get back at it.

I really can't honestly tell you if I enjoy running and finishing a half marathon because of the sense of accomplishment or if it more about the sense of entitlement I allow myself to have for the day(s) after the race.

The clock had barely advanced a minute after I crossed the line and I was holding my all time favoriate treat of a chocolate chip cookie. And by the time I walked away from the finish line, I am ashamed to say that three cookies lost their lives to my happy post race munching.

And as the day went on, I happily munched along - rewarding myself for all my hard earned 13 miles. There was a grilled chicken sandwich from Subway, a bag of chips, a couple Diet Cokes, a hot chocolate, a beer, a few pieces of pizza and oh yes, some frosted brownies. And in my normal tradition, I let myself eat whatever I wanted that day - it was my guiltfree reward. Well, almost guiltfree.

Many months ago, Topher had a great post shouting out the fact that you burn enough calories in a MARATHON to eat 11 donuts but not a full dozen. It was a really interesting point. Granted, not many people can or want to eat a full dozen donuts - but it is the principle of the fact that if you run a stinkin' marathon, in your head you translate it not into 2600 calories but instead to some infinite number of calories. The laws of physics and body digestion should be put on hold after a big race - let us indulge in peace for goodness sakes.

So, some amount of guilt crept into my head on Saturday. But then on Sunday, the real problem started. Because when I get started on a bad road with food, it is HARD to turn the car around. If I get a little junk, I want more junk. I make better excuses, I forget my small slips in an effort to allow others more guiltfree. I get crazy about being bad.

It's taken a few days, but I have finally wrestled my indulgent diet back down to the floor and I hope I can keep it at bay long enough to get back on track. I really need to because my next race is only a month away.

Quick knee update: Damn thing hurts with every step. Every walking step. Every stairs. And today at work, every push back in my chair - it would "go out". Very, very frustrating.

I did my strengthening exercises on Monday, Tuesday and tonight - so still on track. They are still hard - but I am being consistent and careful. Friday I go back to see Amber and talk more about what is next. I have decided to walk my miles duing the week in hopes of putting less stress on it versus running all of them.

2 comments:

  1. I always struggle with the food issue! In fact tonight I treated myself to an extra margarita, chips and guac... not good.

    Hoping your knee feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Amy!

    I just finished listening to your half related podcast and LOVED it. Not only was it great to hear all of your worries before the race (that madness gets us all!) but it was great to hear your hardwork and trimuph too. Congrats on the successful race, and a wonderful recording to remember it all by too!

    ReplyDelete